Volunteers Honored and Leaders Welcomed at Annual Awards Luncheon
On Thursday, January 15, 2015, the Clark County Bar Association (CCBA) held its annual volunteer appreciation awards event at Mundo restaurant in Las Vegas. During the “Volunteer Appreciation Luncheon,” the CCBA’s executive board was sworn-in, a presentation about a local legal service agency was made, and awards were presented to local attorneys and businesses for their service to the bar during the past year. Highlights from the event follow.
The event began with the oath of office administered by Senior U.S. District Court Judge Lloyd D. George to the association’s incoming officers and directors. The following members will serve on the CCBA’s executive board during 2015:
- President – Damon K. Dias, Esq. of Dias Law Group
- President-Elect – Catherine M. Mazzeo, Esq. of Southwest Gas Corporation
- Secretary/Treasurer – Tami D. Cowden, Esq. of Greenberg Traurig, LLP
- John P. Aldrich, Esq. of Aldrich Law Firm, Ltd.
- Nedda Ghandi, Esq. of Ghandi Deeter Law Offices
- James E. Harper, Esq. of Harper Law Group
- Brandon P. Kemble, Esq. of City of Henderson
- Macaire K. Moran, Esq. of Las Vegas Sands Corp.
- Jennifer Roberts, Esq. of Duane Morris LLP
- Mariteresa Rivera-Rogers, Esq. of Wright Stanish & Winckler
- Jason Stoffel, Esq. of Roberts Stoffel Family Law Group
- Kelly Stout, Esq. of Bailey Kennedy, LLP
- Judge Susan Scann of the Eighth Judicial District Court
- Ex Officio – Kimberly Buchanan, Esq. of the NV Attorney General’s Office
After the swearing-in ceremony, guest speaker Carol Kingman addressed the goals of the Southern Nevada Senior Law Project to serve the legal needs of the local population of senior citizens.
The event continued with several awards presented by the CCBA’s outgoing president Kimberly Buchanan to volunteers who have worked for the continued success of the bar’s services and activities. The following attorneys and businesses were recognized for their service during 2014:
- Volunteer of the Year: Paul C. Ray, Esq. of Paul C. Ray, Chtd.
- Circle of Support Awards (per bar committee):
- CLE Committee: Shane Godfrey and Joe Camp of Las Vegas Legal Video
- New Lawyers Committee: Amber White-Davidson, Esq. of Parker Nelson & Associates
- Publications Committee: Jennifer Roberts, Esq. of Duane Morris LLP
- CCBA Outstanding Board Member – Damon Dias, Esq. of Dias Law Group
- CCBA Sponsor of the Year – Bank of Nevada
Additionally, CCBA President (’15) Damon Dias, Esq. presented a framed display of photos and mementos from last year’s bar events to CCBA Past President (’14) Kimberly Buchanan, Esq.
In closing, Dias encouraged bar members to continue to volunteer and to consider the prospect of bar leadership,
“I have served this organization many years, first volunteering on committees, joining the board of directors, and then taking steps toward this leadership role. I now call for your support of the Clark County Bar Association. This organization needs members taking an active role on our committees. You are a valued member of the organization. We need your help to lead this professional organization. I challenge each of you to recruit a new member to the organization and to a committee. Call and invite a colleague to the March Luncheon. If you haven’t joined a committee yet, do it! Take your first step toward leadership.”
Media and member inquiries: Stephanie Abbott, (702) 333-2277