EJDC Orders Plan for Adjudication of Election-Related Actions
On October 31, 2018, Eighth Judicial District Court (EJDC) Chief Judge Linda Marie Bell filed an order in the matter of election matters filed in the court on Election Day this year.
In Administrative Order #18-12 (AO 18-12), the court acknowledged Election Day as November 6, 2018, and “the possibility of actions pertaining to the election process may be filed during or after regular business hours.” In AO 18-12, the court cited the Rules of Practice for the Eighth Judicial District Court and ordered a plan for the fair and expeditious process by which election-related actions can be heard and adjudicated through the end of Election Day.
In AO-12 the court’s plan of administrative tasks for election-related actions includes:
- Designation of three judges within the EJDC to serve as Election Day judges.
- Clerk’s Office to be open to the public between 7:00 a.m. and 9 p.m. on Election Day for the purpose of processing the filing of election-related actions.
- District judges in Departments 7, 16 and 22 to serve on a special committee designated to individually preside, on a randomly-generated rotational bases, over any and all election-related actions filed beginning at 7:00 a.m. on November 6, 2018 and ending at 12:00 a.m. on November 7, 2018.
- Each election-related action filed beginning at 7:00 a.m. on November 6, 2018 and ending at 12:00 a.m. on November 7, 2018, shall be randomly assigned to Departments 7, 16, and 22, that each Department receiving such a random assignment shall be excluded from subsequent assignments until all three departments have drawn an election-related action, at which time the random assignment process shall begin anew/
- Clerk’s Office shall take the steps reasonably necessary to preserve the integrity of the aforementioned assignment process and that a representative from court administration shall witness each random drawing.
- Clerk’s Office shall accept in-person, paper-filing of all election-related actions beginning at 7:00 a.m. on November 6, 2018 and ending at 12:00 a.m. on November 7, 2018; the court further encourages litigants intending to file election-related actions to do so in person and to include the terms “Election-Related Action” in the caption of the pleading so as to help assure the proper designation of their actions as election-related actions.
- Term “Election-Related Actions” shall be construed liberally to include all matters touching upon the facilitation and integrity of the 2018 General Election.
The text above is to highlight the contents of the order and is not to be construed as a replacement for the court order. For all the details and more information, see Administrative Order #18-12 (PDF): EJDC-AO-18-12. Find this order and others posted on the court’s website at http://www.clarkcountycourts.us/general/court-rules-and-administrative-orders/.