Clark County Bar Association Honors Volunteers, Elects Leaders
On December 14, 2017, the Clark County Bar Association (CCBA) hosted its annual event to show appreciation to members of the organization who volunteer throughout the year to support CCBA activities and services. Featured speaker State Bar President Gene Leverty for his special presentation on how lawyers give back to the community. Also, CCBA members cast ballots to elect members to serve on the organization’s board of directors next year at the “Volunteer Appreciation Luncheon & Annual Meeting,” sponsored by Bank of Nevada and Expert Strategy Group and Lawclerk.Legal, and held at Grotto Ristorante inside the Golden Nugget in downtown Las Vegas. Photos from the event can be viewed at https://photos.app.goo.gl/7grTQ1O3PjKXYlx92. Highlights of the awards and the election follow.
CCBA President Tami Cowden hosted the event and presented awards to volunteers who demonstrated exceptional dedication in support of CCBA activities during this year:
- Volunteer of the Year Award: Paul Lal of Boies Schiller Flexner LLP
- Outstanding Board Member: John Aldrich of Aldrich Law Firm Ltd.
- Ambassador of the Year Award: The Honorable Nancy Allf of Eighth Judicial District Court, Department XXVII
- CCBA Sponsor of the Year: Bank of Nevada
- Circle of Support Awards:
- Community Service Committee: Mark Blackman soon to be of Wright, Finlay & Zak
- CLE Committee: Stephen Smith, arbitrator/short trial judge
- New Lawyers Committee: Jason Close of Close Law Group
- Publications Committee: Jacquelyn Franco of Stephenson & Dickinson, PC
- Social Events Committee: Jason Stoffel of Roberts Stoffel Family Law Group
“I am both proud of and humbled by the many accomplishments of CCBA’s volunteers. During this past year, they have shared their talents, their time, their resources, and best of all, their friendship, to help make Clark County a better place for all of its citizens, including its lawyers,” Cowden noted.
Members of the CCBA elected the following eight people to serve for two-year term (2018-2019) on the 2018 Executive Board of Directors:
- Mark Blackman soon to be of Wright, Finlay & Zak
- Nedda Ghandi of Ghandi Deeter Blackham Law Offices
- James E. Harper of Harper Selim
- Brandon P. Kemble of City of Henderson
- James T. Leavitt of Leavitt Legal Services, PC
- Paul C. Ray of Paul C. Ray, Chtd.
- Mariteresa Rivera-Rogers of Wright Stanish & Winckler
- Brenda Weksler of the Federal Public Defender’s Office
During 2018, those nominees elected will serve on the board with the following bar members who were previously elected or appointed:
- President: John Aldrich of Aldrich Law Firm Ltd.
- President-Elect: Jason P. Stoffel of Roberts Stoffel Family Law Group
- Secretary/Treasurer: Jennifer Roberts of UNLV International Center for Gaming Regulation
- Director: Joel Henriod of Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie LLP
- Judicial Appointee: The Honorable Jerry A. Wiese, II of Eighth Judicial District Court, Department XXX
Officers will serve for one year. Directors will serve for two years. This year’s ballot was uncontested with eight nominees for the eight available positions. Members of the board of directors will take their oath of office on Thursday, January 25, 2018 at the Clark County Bar Luncheon.