Client Counseling Competition (Preliminary Rounds)
The Clark County Bar Association is recruiting Nevada attorneys and judges to volunteer at the William S. Boyd School of Law’s 19th Annual Client Counseling Competition scheduled for Friday, November 3, 2017, and Saturday, November 4, 2017. Preliminary rounds (Friday) will be held at the law school. Semifinal and final rounds (Saturday) will be held at Eglet Prince.
An expected 80 to 90 law students will compete while local judges and attorneys act as either clients or as judges to assess their skills. Volunteers should be Nevada attorneys, judges or mediators. Judging the competition qualifies as pro bono service!
Event Schedule (tentative):
- Friday, November 3, 2017:
William S. Boyd School of Law at UNLV, 4505 South Maryland Parkway in Las Vegas, Nevada
- 5:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.: judge check-in and dinner
- 6:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.: preliminary rounds
- Register online (via Constant Contact) to volunteer to Judge the Client Counseling Competition on Friday, November 3, 2017.
- Saturday, November 4, 2017:
Eglet Prince, 400 S. 7th St., Ste. 400, Las Vegas, Nevada
- 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.: Judge check-in and lunch
- 12:30 p.m. – 2 p.m.: Semifinal Rounds
- 2:15 p.m. – 3:45 p.m.: Final Rounds
- 4 p.m.: Awards
- Register online (via Constant Contact) to volunteer to Judge the Client Counseling Competition on Saturday, November 4, 2017.
Questions from volunteers can be directed to CCBA New Lawyers Committee Chair James T. Leavitt, Esq.
About the Client Counseling Competition
The Client Counseling Competition provides an opportunity for law students to test their interview skills with potentially difficult clients. The competition tests their ability to:
- Establish effective relations with the client in a short interview
- Analyze the client’s problem
- Assess relevant facts from irrelevant information
- Learn the client’s goals and expectations
- Recognize potential ethical conflicts
- Develop alternative solutions to the client’s problem
- Assist the client in understanding and making informed choices among possible courses of action
- Effectively conclude the interview
Details2017-11-03 17:30:002017-11-03 21:30:00America/Los_AngelesClient Counseling Competition (Preliminary Rounds)University of Nevada, Las Vegas, Las Vegas, NV, United States
|Event Starts||Event Ends|