Communiqué – Editorial Calendar, Policy
Editorial Calendar & Deadlines, Editorial Policy, Author Guidelines for Legal Articles, and Author’s Consent to Publish for COMMUNIQUÉ, the official publication of the Clark County Bar Association
The following information is laso available to download as a PDF formatted file: Communique-Editorial-Policies-Guidelines
- Cover Date Topic of Articles Content Deadline (articles, columns, calendars, ads)
- January 2017 Five Things Thursday, December 1, 2016
- February 2017 Pro Bono Tuesday, January 2, 2017
- March 2017 Business Litigation Wednesday, February 1, 2017
- April 2017 Diversity Wednesday, March 1, 2017
- May 2017 Sports Law Friday, March 31, 2017
- June/July 2017 Family Law Monday, May 1, 2017
- August 2017 Education Law Friday, June 30, 2017
- September 2017 Legislative Update Tuesday, August 1, 2017
- October 2017 Health Care Law Friday, September 1, 2017
- November 2017 Legal History Sunday, October 1, 2017
- December 2017 Ethics Wednesday, November 1, 2017
Calendars are subject to change without notice
The editorial calendars, schedules, editorial policies, and writer’s guidelines for the Communiqué are subject to change without notice. Publication will not be released in July. The combined June/July issue will be released in June.
Space reservations are required
The editorial calendar includes the deadline for submission of final versions of articles, columns, features, ads (and final artwork) for publication in Communiqué, the official publication of the Clark County Bar Association. All content in the publication is subject to approval and editing for style, grammar, and length.
Space is limited with placement only guaranteed to paid advertisements. Advertising rates and editorial policies are available on the CCBA Web site at https://www.clarkcountybar.org/marketplace/communique-advertising-rates-specs/or by contacting the Clark County Bar Association at (702) 387-6011. Space reservations and questions about content, policies, rates, artwork specifications, and deadlines can be directed to CCBA’s Communications Coordinator Steph Abbott at (702) 387-6011 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Purpose and Scope
The Communiqué magazine is published 11 times per year with an issue published monthly except for July by the Clark County Bar Association, 717 S. Eighth Street, Las Vegas, NV 89101. It is mailed to every member of the Clark County Bar Association and paid subscribers in Reno, the southwest, and several states across the country. Articles on varied subjects pertaining to southern Nevada practitioners, and other laws significant to southern Nevada practitioners are welcome. Formatted and paid space is available for businesses to showcase their services or products through the use of boxed or “display” ads and classified ads.
The articles and advertisements appearing in Communiqué magazine do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the Clark County Bar Association, the CCBA Publications Committee, the editorial board, or the other columnists. All legal and other issues discussed are not for the purpose of answering specific legal questions. Attorneys and others are strongly advised to independently research all issues.
Articles are not purchased, and those submitted become the property of the Clark County Bar Association. At its discretion, the editorial board may reprint the articles in any medium or form of communication, including but not limited to the official Clark County Bar Association Web site, unless the copyright is expressly reserved by the author. Copyright must be reserved in writing prior to first publication. Requests for permission to reprint the articles may be granted by the publisher for educational, nonexclusive use.
Letters from readers are welcome. Communiqué reserves the right to edit for style, length and continuity. All letters must include the author’s name; however the name may be withheld from publication at the sole discretion of the editorial board. In the case of a highly controversial letter, the author will be contacted to verify that he/she wrote the letter.
Communiqué accepts paid advertising* from a wide variety of vendors. The publisher reserves the right to reject any advertisement copy it deems inappropriate for the publication for any reason. Publication of any advertisement should not be deemed an endorsement of the product advertised. For more information on Communiqué advertising rates, policies, artwork specifications and deadlines, contact Steph Abbott at email@example.com or (702) 387-6011. View information and rates on this website:
- DISPLAY AD RATES & SPECS are listed at https://www.clarkcountybar.org/marketplace/communique-advertising-rates-specs/
- CLASSIFIED AD RATES & SPECS are listed at https://www.clarkcountybar.org/marketplace/marketplace-advertising-rates-specs/
Articles and content
Each issue maintains an editorial focus with practical legal articles and features for Nevada attorneys, judges, and their staff. The content of each issue is planned several months in advance. See editorial calendar listed above.
All articles submitted will be considered for publication in the Communiqué. However, Communiqué will not publish self-serving articles promoting a specific named product or services of an individual or firm.
The Editor-In-Chief, in conjunction with the CCBA Publications Committee and the editorial board, reserves the right to edit or to reject articles submitted, and to decide when or if they will publish the article. This editorial board reserves the right to edit for style, content, continuity and length. The CCBA Publications Committee and the editorial board will not consider for publication unsolicited articles from merchants who are not members or supporters of CCBA through sponsorship or advertising. If a specific need arises for a merchant-authored article or feature, the Publications Committee shall attempt to secure an author from the list of CCBA merchant members and/or those companies who currently support CCBA through sponsorship and/or advertising.
Guidelines for submission of legal articles
Attorney members of the CCBA are encouraged to contribute articles for publication. Articles must be on topic and original, unpublished works written for publication in the Communiqué. As space is limited, the editors review all proposals for articles several months in advance.
Original submission of ideas for articles, or themes for future editions, should be submitted to the Editor-in-Chief c/o CCBA staff Steph Abbott to firstname.lastname@example.org. The staff will forward all items for review and consideration to the editorial board.
Proposals should include the following information:
- Author(s) name(s) and Nevada bar #(s) and a short biographical statement
- Summary paragraph providing the focus and scope for the article (include relevant rules/statues/procedures, etc.)
- Proposed issue for placement/publication (see editorial calendar above)
When submitting ideas, other story ideas, interviews, or features that would supplement and expand upon the theme will also be considered.
Upon submission, the author may request permission to review any substantive changes, subject to the publishing deadline. All content in the publication is subject to approval and editing for style, grammar, and length.
All authors must follow the author’s guidelines and editor’s manual as noted below.
Tips for submission of legal articles
- Approved and completed articles, stories, or features must be submitted by the stated deadline. Unless otherwise announced or informed, the deadline for all submissions is the first day of the month preceding publication. (Example: to appear in the May issue, an article must be submitted April 1.)
- Articles are subject to editing for style and content. The official stylebook for the Communiqué is the most recent edition of the Chicago Manual of Style. It is the author’s responsibility to include valid citations of authority.
- Citations of authority should be set forth in the body of the article. The format of the magazine does not support the use of footnotes or endnotes. All such information must be included in the body of the copy. When citing NV cases, authors should include the Pacific Reporter case. No pin cites are necessary.
- Articles should include a title and include section breaks with subheadings (as necessary).
- Articles should include a short biographical paragraph (two or three sentences).
- Authors should send a photo (head & shoulders image) of themselves in color and high-resolution at 300+ dpi. Acceptable file formats are .jpg and .tif.
- Authors must submit a signed author consent form, see “Permission of Author for Publication” below (or see page 4 of PDF file)
- Send all items by the deadline to CCBA Communications Coordinator Steph Abbott at email@example.com or via USB drive to her attention at Clark County Bar Association, 717 S. 8th Street, Las Vegas, NV 89101. Phone: (702) 387-6011.
THE OFFICIAL PUBLICATION OF THE CLARK COUNTY BAR ASSOCIATION
Permission of Author for Publication
During the life of Author’s copyright in the Article hereof, Clark County Bar Association shall have the non-exclusive license to use, revise, publish, and distribute the copyrighted article entitled _______________________________________________________________________________________
by Author for publication in the Communiqué, on the Clark County Bar Association’s Web site, reprints and for the purpose of advertising Publisher’s products or services. Clark County Bar Association agrees to provide credit to Author for Author’s composure of the Article on any use by Clark County Bar Association of the Article.
Author’s Signature Date:
ADDITIONAL PERMISSIONS OF AUTHOR FOR THIS ARTICLE:
The author agrees to provide credit to Author and the Clark County Bar Association for Author’s composure of the Article on any use by another party. Credit should include the name of the publication, the month and year it was published.
Suggested language is “This article was originally published in the _________________________ issue of Communiqué, the official publication of the Clark County Bar Association.”
Author’s Signature Date:
Authors are to complete this form and return immediately to:
Clark County Bar Association, 717 S. Eighth Street, Las Vegas, NV 89101.
Fax: (702) 387-7867. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Communiqué is published by the Clark County Bar Association. Phone: (702) 387-6011.
*Notes: The editorial calendars, schedules, and policies are subject to change without notice. Space reservations are required. Space is limited with placement only guaranteed to paid advertisements. To learn more about advertising, See Communiqué – Official Rate Sheet & Specs….