November 1, 2014: Light the Night Walk - Join Team CCBA or Donate to the cause!
November 7 & 8, 2014: 16th Annual Client Counseling Competition
November 21, 2014: Downtown Cultural Series Performance
December 19, 2014: Downtown Cultural Series Performance
January 16, 2015: Downtown Cultural Series Performance
February 20, 2015: Downtown Cultural Series Performance – CCBA Attorney Speaker Needed!
March 20, 2015: Downtown Cultural Series Performance – CCBA Attorney Speaker Needed!
April 17, 2015: Downtown Cultural Series Performance – CCBA Attorney Speaker Needed!
November 1, 2014 – Light the Night Walk
Let’s go, Team CCBA!
Join the Clark County Bar Association (CCBA) in support of the Light The Night Walk—the LLS’s annual walk and fundraising event and the nation’s night to pay tribute and bring hope to people battling cancer.
Please join our team’s effort today by registering to walk or by making a donation.
- Donate or raise $100 and be a Champions for Cures and receive food, illuminated lantern, and Light the Night t-shirt at the walk!
- Donate $50 to Team CCBA and get our team’s T-shirt*!
- *To get the CCBA Team T-shirt, make your donation on the Team CCBA page by Friday, October 17, 2014.
Your participation in the Light The Night Walk will save lives today.
Be sure to check our team page frequently to see our progress, and thanks for your support!
Downtown Cultural Series
Public Speaking Opportunities Available for Attorney Members
The Clark County Bar Association is seeking attorney members to volunteer to speak to the crowd gathered for the performances scheduled as part of the “Downtown Cultural Series” held monthly inside the Linda Fitzgerald Jury Assembly Room at the Lloyd D. George U.S. Courthouse.
Schedule of Performances*:
- September 19, 2014
- October 17, 2014
- November 21, 2014
- December 19, 2014
- January 16, 2015
- February 20, 2015 - CCBA Attorney Speaker Needed!
- March 20, 2015 - CCBA Attorney Speaker Needed!
- April 17, 2015 - CCBA Attorney Speaker Needed!
Attorney speakers must be ready at the podium to start speaking by 11:50 a.m. and they must finish by 11:59 p.m. before the performers take the stage at noon. Only attorneys who are members of the Clark County Bar Association will be selected to speak. There is no charge for the attorney to participate with appearances limited to once per season.
Choose your own topic to present to the audience. The content should not be an advertisement for a law practice or election campaign. The topics of presentation are subject to approval and should be restricted to general legal matters. The length of the presentation is recommended to be limited to 2 to 4 minutes; presenters are allowed to prepare a flyer/brochure related to the subject matter that can be distributed at the event. Suggested topics include:
- Local legal resources
- Proposition for appellate level court for Nevada state system
- Judicial selection process for local, state, and federal judges
- Real estate & housing issues
- Foreclosure mediation
- Alternative dispute resolution
- Jury and jury service
- Landlord / Tenant issues
- Foreclosure mediation
- Alternative dispute resolution
- Elder law issues
- Living Wills
- Probate and estate planning
- Jurisdiction and practice before one of the local or state courts
- Jurisdiction and practice before one of the local federal courts, including general jurisdiction trial court, bankruptcy court, tax court, Social Security Administration, immigration court, tax court, court of appeals for veterans claims, etc.
To volunteer, contact Steph at CCBA via e-mail or phone at (702) 387-6011 between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
More about the Downtown Cultural Series
As free, public events, the demographic of the audience can vary. Past audiences have included visitors from local senior citizen centers, court staff, and locals simply enjoying their lunch watching talented performers. The series is produced by the City of Las Vegas’ Office of Cultural Affairs with cooperation by the Lloyd D. George U.S. Courthouse. Performances vary and can include music, dance, and drama. The scheduled performers are subject to change without notice. See http://www.artslasvegas.org/. Admission to attend the event as part of the audience is free and open to the public. The performers take the stage at noon and generally finish by 1:00 p.m. There is a light lunch buffet available for all to enjoy during the event.
16th Annual Client Counseling Competition
Nevada attorneys and local, state, and federal judges are needed to volunteer on Friday, November 7 and/or Saturday, November 8, 2014 to judge the “16th Annual Client Counseling Competition” to be held at the William S. Boyd School of Law at 4505 S Maryland Pkwy, Las Vegas, Nevada 89119. This event is sponsored by the Bank of Nevada, Clark County Bar Association, and the Saltman Center for Conflict Resolution.
This is the planned schedule for each day of the competition:
Friday, November 7, 2014:
5:00 – 5:45 p.m. – Judges’ Dinner
5:45 – 6:00 p.m. – Instructions & Room Assignments
6:00 – 10:00 p.m. – Preliminary Rounds (4)
Saturday, November 8, 2014:
8:45 – 9:00 a.m. – Instructions & Room Assignments
9:00 – 11:30 a.m. – Semi-Final Round
12:30 – 2:00 p.m. – Final Round
Volunteers should be Nevada attorneys, judges or mediators. Most volunteers will be needed for the Friday night competition.
An expected 80 to 90 law students will compete while local judges and attorneys act as either clients or as judges to assess their skills. Volunteers should be Nevada attorneys, judges or mediators.
The Client Counseling Competition provides an opportunity for law students to test their interview skills with potentially difficult clients. The competition tests their ability to:
- Establish effective relations with the client in a short interview
- Analyze the client’s problem
- Assess relevant facts from irrelevant information
- Learn the client’s goals and expectations
- Recognize potential ethical conflicts
- Develop alternative solutions to the client’s problem
- Assist the client in understanding and making informed choices among possible courses of action
- Effectively conclude the interview
Summary of Annual CCBA Events
- Thursday, January 16, 2014 – Volunteer Appreciation Luncheon & Executive Board Swearing In Ceremony
- Thursday, March 20, 2014 – 40 Year Club Induction Ceremony & Luncheon
- Thursday, May 22, 2014 – Feat. Las Vegas Mayor Carolyn Goodman
- Thursday, August 14, 2014 – Feat. Nevada Secretary of State Ross Miller
- Thursday, October 23, 2014 – [TBA]
- Thursday, December 11, 2014 – President’s Luncheon & Annual Meeting/Board Election
*Dates and information are subject to change without notice.
CCBA luncheons are typically held on the third Thursday except for the December Luncheon which is the second Thursday. Visit our Bar Luncheons page for information about the upcoming luncheon.
Sponsorships are available. Download the bar luncheon sponsorship information (PDF). Contact Donna at CCBA for more information. Phone: (702) 387-6011.