CCBA’s Community Service Committee
This committee is focused on organizing CCBA’s members to provide outreach services to the community at large in southern Nevada. All members of the CCBA are invited to join or volunteer for this committee and/or get involved in its activities.
- November 5, 2016 – Light The Night Walk (4-8 p.m.). Please register to walk with the Clark County Bar Association and make a donation to support the research and efforts made by the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) and their local chapter here in southern Nevada. The Light The Night Walk will be held on Saturday, November 5, 2016 (4-8pm) in downtown Las Vegas. This event will include a nice stroll through downtown Las Vegas and an opportunity for you to pay tribute and bring hope to people battling blood cancers. Thank you for bringing us all closer to living in a world without blood cancers!
Join the CCBA’s Community Service Committee:
- Committee Chairs Paul Ray, Esq. of Paul C. Ray, Chtd. and Jennifer Roberts, Esq. of Duane Morris, LLP (also serve as CCBA Executive Board Liaisons)
- Shahzad Ali of Investment Management Counsel
- Mark Blackman of Alpert, Barr & Grant APLC
- Annette Bradley, Esq. of Southern Nevada Health District
- Damon Dias, Esq. of Dias Law Group
- James Harper, Esq. of Harper Law Group
- Joel Jarvis of Kaercher Insurance
- Melanie Kushnir, Esq. of Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada
- Macaire Moran, Esq. of Vegas Sands Corp.
- Julie Olejnik of Expert Strategy Group
- Mariteresa Rivera-Rogers, Esq. of Wright Stanish & Winckler
- Jason P. Stoffel, Esq. of Roberts Stoffel Family Law Group
- Brenda Weksler, Esq. of Federal Public Defender’s Office
CCBA members who want to get involved and/or provide suggestions for community outreach projects can reach out to CCBA Communications Coordinator Steph Abbott at (702) 387-6011. To find out when the next meeting of this committee will be held, view Upcoming Events page or contact CCBA staff liaison Steph, (702) 333-2270.
CCBA’s Continuing Legal Education (CLE) Committee
The mission of the Continuing Legal Education Committee is to create high quality, low cost continuing legal education seminars for the benefit of bar members and legal community. In addition, the committee members and staff are charged with establishing, maintaining, and publicizing CCBA’s position as a leading provider of CLE seminars in Clark County, Nevada.
Committee members work as a team to fulfill our mission. On average, a committee member spends about five hours per month working on committee matters, but the amount of time may vary depending on whether the member is actively involved in organizing a seminar. As an additional bonus, seminar producing CLE committee members are entitled to attend CCBA CLE seminars at no cost!
Join the CCBA’s CLE Committee:
- Committee Chair Lesley Cohen, Esq. of Pecos Law Group
- CCBA Executive Board Liaisons: Mariteresa Rivera-Rogers, Esq. of Wright Stanish & Winckler and Brenda Weksler, Esq. of Office of the Federal Public Defender
- Kimberly Buchanan, Esq. of Office of the Nevada Attorney General
- A. Wayne Carter, Esq. of Hand Page Sullivan Martin
- Anthony Ciulla, Esq. of Deaner Malan Larsen & Ciulla
- Paul Ray, Esq. of Paul C. Ray, Chtd.
- Stephen Smith, Esq., Sole Practitioner
- Robert Telles, Esq., Accolade Law
The committee meets at noon on the second Friday of every month at the CCBA offices. To find out when the next meeting of this committee will be held, view Upcoming Events page or contact CCBA staff liaison Donna Wiessner, (702) 333-2266.
CCBA’s New Lawyers Committee
The New Lawyers Committee is for attorneys admitted to practice in Nevada within the last five years, regardless of age. The committee coordinates and participates with the William S. Boyd School of Law to produce several student activities, including the In-House Negotiation Competition, Moot Court Competition, Client Counseling Competition, and the Law School Open House. Members volunteer to help with bar events, including the annual Meet Your Judges Mixer and the New Admittees Reception. The committee hosts social mixers periodically with the Young Lawyers Section of the State Bar of Nevada and the UNLV Boyd Law School Alumni Association. The committee is also responsible for producing the New Lawyers Survival Guide and Mentor Program. Committee work averages three hours per month per person.
Get the New Lawyers Survival Guide – 2015 Edition
Whether you are new to the practice of law or are just looking for a convenient resource, the New Lawyers Survival Guide is a must have. Download this publication produced by the CCBA’s New Lawyers Committee.
Join the CCBA’s New Lawyers Committee:
- Committee Chair Michael Hughes, Esq. of The Law Office of Michael V. Hughes
- CCBA Executive Board Liaisons: Brandon Kemble, Esq. of the City of Henderson; Jason Stoffel, Esq. of Roberts Stoffel Family Law Group; and Kelly Stout, Esq. of Bailey Kennedy, LLP
- Kristy Black, Esq. of Holland & Hart
- Andrea Champion, Esq. of Holland & Hart
- Boyd Law School Student Liaison Jessica Chong (3L)
- Boyd Law School Student Liaison David LaBay (2L)
CCBA’s Publications Committee
The Publications Committee produces the award-winning CCBA monthly magazine, Communiqué. They share an interest in producing a magazine which is not just readable but relevant to the practice of law in local, state, and federal courts. Although many committee members have prior experience writing for their law school journals or college newspapers, such experience is not necessary. Members write articles themselves as well as solicit articles from other professionals on assigned topics. Meetings are spent brainstorming story ideas and matching topics with potential authors. The level of participation on this committee varies. A committee member can simply attend the meetings regularly and help plan the editorial calendar, or they can take on more responsibilities from writing to securing authors and articles for future issues. Some committee members serve as editors and are responsible for copy editing the content of each issue. Copy editors spend about three to five hours per month proofreading assigned sections and must be able to turn around their assignments in 24 to 48 hours.
Join the CCBA’s Publications Committee:
- Committee Chair and Editor-In-Chief Paul Ray, Esq. of Paul C. Ray, Chtd.
- Associate Editor Jennifer Roberts, Esq. of Duane Morris
- Associate Editor Heather Anderson-Fintak, Esq. of Southern Nevada Health District
- Associate Editor Tami Cowden, Esq. of Greenberg Traurig, LLP
- Associate Editor Jack Fleeman, Esq. of Pecos Law Group
- CCBA Executive Board Liaisons: Jennifer Roberts, Esq. of Duane Morris, LLP; Tami Cowden, Esq. of Greenberg Traurig; and James Harper, Esq. of the Harper Law Group
- Lindsay Demaree, Esq. of Ballard Spahr
- Jacquelyn Franco, Esq. of Stephenson & Dickinson, P.C.
- Jennifer Hostetler, Esq. of the Office of the Nevada Attorney General
- Erin Houston, Esq. of Goldsmith & Guymon
- Alia Najjar, MD, Esq. of Brooks Hubley LLP
This committee meets at noon on the first Tuesday of every month at the CCBA offices To find out when the next meeting of this committee will be held, view Upcoming Events page or contact CCBA staff liaison Steph Abbott at (702) 333-2270.
The following committees are affiliated with the Clark County Law Foundation.
CCLF’s Trial By Peers® Committee
The Clark County Law Foundation (CCLF) has a planning committee for their youth court program, Trial By Peers® (TBP). The TBP Committee meets on the last Monday of the month, usually at Noon but at various locations. Contact the CCLF to confirm time, dates, and location, 702-333-8277. <For more information about CCLF and the TBP progam, visit http://clarkcountylawfoundation.org/.
CCLF’s Community Service Committee
The Clark County Law Foundation (CCLF) has a planning committee for their community service projects. The Community Service Committee meets on the third Monday of the month, usually at Noon but at various locations. Contact the CCLF to confirm time, dates, and location, 702-333-8277. For more information about CCLF visit http://clarkcountylawfoundation.org/.